The Sophisticated Eater Original Recipe: 5-minute Vegan BLT Salad
- 1 case Baby Kale (Bright Farms, found at Giant Food, is The SE's favorite!)
- 1 box Couscous (Plain flavor)
- 1 package Lightlife Smoky Tempeh Strips
- 1 case Baby Tomatoes (Heirloom are best, yellow are also preferable)
- 1 Newman's Own - Olive Oil & Vinegar Salad Dressing
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 avocado (optional, but highly recommended)
- 1 tsp Bouillon (optional - The SE recommends using Better than Bouillon for best outcome)
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder (optional)
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder (optional)
- 1 dash Herbamare (optional)
- 1 pot
- 1 flat-bottomed pan
- 1 measuring cup
- Follow instructions on back of couscous (The SE likes to add bouillon to the water to add depth. Add 2 tsp bouillon, 1 tbsp EVOO, the garlic powder, onion powder, and dash herbamare to make it The SE tried and tested way)
- While couscous water is boiling, add a dash of EVOO to frying pan and turn on "HIGH" heat
- Add couscous to water and stir before removing from heat + covering for 5 minutes
- Add Lightlife Smoky Tempeh strips to pan and cook well on both sides before removing from heat and setting aside (The SE likes a little visible char on each side). Stack and cut into small bite-size pieces
- Cut baby tomatoes into 4 and set aside. Open avocado (optional) and set aside.
- Rinse baby kale and portion onto plate
- Add tempeh, tomatoes and scoop avocado on top
- Drizzle desired Newman's Own salad dressing amount on top and mix
- Finish off with several scoops of couscous
Portions above feed 2-3.
Tried it?! Love it?! Tag The SE on instagram @thesophisticatedeater for a shoutout!
Pinky's up, fellow SE's!